Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Speaking To A Shipwright (Backlash)
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Re: Speaking To A Shipwright (Backlash) 

“That’s because we were. Three of the people at that table could have charged me with treason instead of agreeing. Two of them stood a chance of killing me before the ICBM I had locked onto my position hit our location. The scars of the Medicci crisis ran deep. I’m not sure if it was respect or fear that kept those negotiations from breaking down. I think the only reason we walked away alive is because Don Graves backed me while Peter Williams was absent. Otherwise... well. I would have loved to find out how good Titans Rebirth was just once.” Backlash smiled, in a wistful but sinister kind of way.

Backlash Send private message  
Back to topPage bottom

"We got taught to fear our betters instead of truly respecting most of them." She frowned at him. "As one of the younger ones at that table, that is how I felt."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*
*more to come...dun-dun-duh!

Sydney Sloane Send private message
Back to topPage bottom

“In truth, I suspect it was a systemic problem nation wide by the time I had arrived to it. Our people took challenge to extremes. Those of rank did not take time to grow their respect or adoration. They used their rank and might to force submition. So too did the young of my time learn that domination was to be powerful. This may have been a symptom of the endless foes we were faced with. No time to be questioned, no time to build trust or display cunning and shrewdness.”

“Truly, after so many betrayals and our own people falling, we became much more secretive than was healthy. No tales did I hear for month upon end. Great quests were done with no whispers of what was discovered. Even crafting techniques and rites were barred to me without great cost. Especially within our people. We may be blessed with some of the most security conscious and paranoid members of Mother Gaia’s children to ever howl.”

He shook his head in bewilderment. “I mean my god, we cast the Rite of Thirteenth Floor on an invisible stealth ship’s soundproof windowless room a mile and a half off the ground in the middle of nowhere!” His arms wave about, gesturing at the ship to add to the point.

Back to topPage bottom

"No I get it. I was kept from a lot of information because I didn't want to toe the line." She sighed and shook her head. "I have to believe this world is better and we can keep it from getting that bad. I have to."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

“Ah, but you have found the root of my dilemma. If your hopes come true, what use am I to this world?” He asked simply. He yawns and takes a cup to drink. “My tactics were designed for a more ruthless world. If I were to go about things as I used to, it may very well mean infecting this place with the same form of violence that blossomed from our own version.”

Back to topPage bottom

"You will see the mistakes before they are made. You know the heart of what twisted our Tribe. You saw it first hand. You can keep us from that this time Backlash." Syd said looking at him the seriousness in her eyes. "I am not saying you have to be the one to weed them out or anything like that. But you are an Athro and a Thurge."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

Backlash grins wryly into his cup. “Ms Sloane I do believe you are asking me to act my rank. Gaia help us, you honestly feel I am a teacher to the Nation. I think I hear Phil laughing all the way from the Strider Homeland.”

He taps his fingers against the cup, thinking it over. “I’ll have to take a student, you know. Someone with sense. Someone that won’t carelessly muck about my beautiful lady. Probably with an impertinent knack for asking damned complicated questions that make me think too hard and resort to violence not often enough.” He pretends to grumble, feigning annoyance.

“That is, if they don’t mind skirting that whole, “mentors are outdated” notion.....”

Back to topPage bottom

"I mean. I am pretty certain I know someone." She stopped and leaned on the handle of the broom. Her hands balanced at the top so her chin could rest on top of them.

"Now,  a teacher who won't disappear for months on end sounds nice. I mean. Or just a heads up. Cause I know Brennus has some ideas and there is going to be times when it happens on my end."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

“Glass Walkers communicating? A novel idea. I suppose if it were a two way venture such a thing could be pencilled in.” He says in a droll tone. “Although, it wouldn’t do to have a student running off with a merry band of misfits without them filing some form of report detailing how their ventures bettered them as a Theurge?” He gave a sniff. “At the very least it could prompt a lesson or two and for-warn an overworked teacher of said student’s inevitable questions and provide context.....”

Back to topPage bottom

"I'll fill a lot of things out as long as you don't want a powerpoint presentation out of me. I fucking hate those. I use the most obnoxious transition I can and will set it all to that Christmas Album with the songs all sung by dogs." Syd chuckled, it was an amusing threat but one that was meant to be light-hearted.

"I mean we don't have much planned yet, you know. Growing living boat, set up a trading company and maybe overthrowing a King. But you know we gotta get set up first and what not. But I am sure I will have a ton of complex questions to ask."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

Backlash snorted. “Here you are telling me to behave while you plot to overthrow a King? Have a care, Sydney, Atticus is of no shortage of rage lately and does not need a reason to be riled up. Honestly, kids these days....” he says, with a touch of seriousness for once.

“If you’ve so much time on your hands, perhaps you could do with some extra assignments?” The suggestion seems to be a test in and of itself.

Back to topPage bottom

"I mean I technically have all the time in the world right now. I might as well use it, right?" She said with a wry grin on her face that was clearly picked up from her time spent with a particular Fianna.

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

Backlash returns the smile. “Indeed. Well, stuck in time as we are, we will have to wait on our more tribal tech details. Instead, I’ll focus on your interests as a pilot. When you craft a ship, regardless of size, you must plan meticulously before ever setting hand on the project. If crafting a fetish is akin to being entrusted with a child, being crewed to a living ship is as important and as difficult as safe guarding the last whale on earth.”

Steam rushed into the compartment to ruffle his hair. Backlash ignored the protest.

“In or out of water, they are a target for anyone brave or hungry enough. This might lead you to want to put guns on it. Which is where I tell you: Don’t. Do not strap weapons to your ship. It will change its nature. If you need guns, carry them. If the ship wants guns, it will grow them itself. The Hushed Casket desires weapons, and so it channels blasts through appendages it grew to resemble cannons. Many foolish tribe members created unspeakable and uncontrollable engines of war by not heeding basic common sense. Now, your assignment is much more simple than all that. I want you to speak to every tree species that you can find, and determine which wood would suit you best.”

“Strength, weight, flexibility, personality... and of course water retention. Study the plants around you and find what you think best. It will help you both with your goals and your packs, I suspect. Never hurts to know a little botany, too.”

Back to topPage bottom

"Talk to the trees, I can do that. Alright." She nodded her head with a thought. "I thankfully have a small list I should start with first. There is a whole poem you know."

She nodded and then a little more serious in tone she said. "No guns. Trust me. I am not building my ships with the intent to fight. I want to explore. It is what it was meant for."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

Backlash opens his mouth as if to say something, but stops short. A shadow fell over his face as trace lines of lightning ran silently down his arms. He folded his arms behind his back and turned to face the hold, a bit angled away from Sydney.

“Right you are, Ms. Sloane,” He said clearing his throat, “that is what it was meant for.....”

The lines of light seem to persist, running along his spine and ribs insistently. He takes a breath.

“I think I’ll be topside to meditate. I’ve been down here much too long. Please finish up, and take some drink back with you. Knowing your Captain, your camp could sorely use it with his appetite and the babes about. Casket? Behave.”

He made his way to the stairs as the lightning and storm clouds rolled beneath his skin. The ship quietly waited until he had left before addressing Syd.

/are you a captain?/

Back to topPage bottom

"Thank you Backlash. They will certainly appreciate it." She said as he headed out, then continued to tend to her work. When Casket spoke she stopped in surprise, then continued her work in a moment of her own silent thought.

"That is a tough question. I am part of a crew. But I am not the Captian of that crew. I will tend and care to that ship, where her Captain won't be able to. Not because he is a bad Captian just because we both know there are things I can do that Brennus fully can't." She chuckles the whole time talking in Spirit Speech, her tone is warm but deep with thought as she rambles on, almost more at ease speaking with the ship.

"I will have my own ship, I know I need it. Brennus thinks that I don't feel the pull to go. But I do. I just need it to be on my terms. He was given wings so he could fly. I need to make my own. Which will just so happen to be a ship. She will be my wings you see."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

The ship sighs in its boards as warm steam cleans away what Syd did not. The air becomes comfortable and cozy, perfect to rest in.

/There is only one Captain/ she whispers.

/Shipwrights are many. Only one Captain. Know that there is an Order/

She pauses, as above there is movement. After a moment she continues.

/Here is new tides. New ways. Before, My Captain had an Order. The Next Captain was clear. And the Next. And the Next/

/Here is no Order. This bond was broken. The Next are Not on the Seas/

/You must tell your Ship the Order. Your Captain called it differently. Find the Chains of Command. Restore the Order/

Back to topPage bottom

"She won't be alone. You won't be alone either. Your Captain will have a new pack." She said as she rested a hand on the wood of the ship. "You know how he is, it takes him a while to warm up to people is all. Don't worry, once we get out of here things will change."

(4 Apperance Traits)
*Spirit Magnet*

Back to topPage bottom

The Hushed Casket creaked and settled. Seemingly comforted, the ship took its time before speaking once more.

/There is one more Knowing a Captain needs/

/When we are made by the hands of our Makers/

/Before we are Us/

/We listen to find our way/

/We listen to our stories and our Songs/

/My Makers never stopped singing. This is how I found my way/

/Ships should always be filled with Singing. Remember, Small Captain. Sing Always/

The crystals lining the walls shift in hue to change the illumination to a wavy blue, making it feel as if one is submerged in warm tropical waters. Casket quiets, as if talking so much directly had tired her out. The room is warm and comforting for as long as Syd remains.

Back to topPage bottom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML